All things must come to an end

Sadly, that even includes holidays, the endless kind of ones that seem like forever when they start but seem to evaporate really quickly towards the end.

Since I last posted I have been to Melbourne with the family for a week. It was great to catch up with so many people, especially to be able to take Mrs Scoop and the two Teaspoons (small Scoops) to see everybody. Since returning home I have done a fair bit of study reading (business accounting and finance – scary as hell!) and done a fair bit of relaxing. I’ve been sleeping past 8am as often as not, and those who know me well would realise that this is a big thing for me. Yesterday I took Teaspoon 2 to the Queensland Museum. It was great because I just followed him once we were inside instead of trying to show him particular things. Surprisingly, we did pretty much get to see everything, although he would not go anywhere near the far wall of the bugs and wildlife cabinets because of the giant replica of a redback spider that was attached to the wall. He loved the dinosaur bones (courtesy of the film Night at the Museum) and really liked the simulated boat ride following the stars to find the Aboriginal campfire. It was a well-spent couple of hours and well worth the trip.

Today I am playing golf as a last hurrah before going back to work, although I am playing with one of ht ebosses from work, so I dare say some significant discussion of my next project will be at hand. I think, after five weeks of holidays, I am ready to get back into it with some real passion. Tally Ho!


8 thoughts on “All things must come to an end

  1. Speaking of elephants… ok, you weren’t speaking of elephants but there was an elephant at the African pond a few days ago… I thought this ‘feel good’ story might interest you:

    In 1986, Mkele Mbembe was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air.

    The elephant seemed distressed, so Mbembe approached it very carefully.

    He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant’s foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Mbembe worked the wood out with his hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot.

    The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Mbembe stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away.

    Mbembe never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

    Twenty years later, Mbembe was walking through the Brookfield Zoo with his teenage son, Tapu. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Mbembe and his son were standing.

    The large bull elephant stared at Mbembe, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times, then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

    Remembering the encounter in 1986, Mbembe couldn’t help wondering if this was the same elephant. Mbembe summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder.

    The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Mbembe’s legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

    Probably wasn’t the same elephant.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s